Saturday 28 March 2009

Progress


So some progress has been made today. Although I will admit that at times the digging was hard. Sometimes it was more like archeology than gardening. The amount of 'stuff' in the ground is unbelievable, unfortunately none of it is Gold Torcs or Roman statues, its basically half brick random bits of metal, stones, broken slates/tiles and a TV aerial! Oh and lots of roots and bits of bindweed root I think and yes I have been flinging it out.
I am going to turn the bit you can see in the pic into a raised bed, probably for salad crops. it gets the most sun, most of the day. You can see by the darker earth where I am digging a trench to put the extra earth on the left hand side of this bit as the ground slopes to the left as we look at it here. So Im trying to bank it up. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get a couple of bags of horse manure to dig into it.
Whats been on my freebie garden agenda today? These are the goodies accumulated.
  • Two big bags of polystyrene chips to use as 'crocks' in my potato sacks
  • Some salad leaf seeds off a colleague at work
  • A big red box left on the side of the street (a Hilti Box) This will be used for salad growing
  • Some wooded planks/shelving from a skip - this is for my raised beds
  • Various tubs/cans etc re cycled to use as seeding pots

According to the Guardian today: The soil should now be warm enough to sow all sorts of crops direct. Broad beans, carrots, beetroot, salad leaves, radish and pasnip. French beans under a cloche.

I don't know, last night when I took the dog for a walk the cars were covered in ice. Will that have an impact - do you know? What do you think dear reader - I'd love to hear your advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment