Friday 20 March 2009

A few photos of my plot





These are the pictures of my back garden. Its not very big but it is majorly overgrown. The earth seems to be full of old masionary and other junk. There are a few flowers that poke their head up and a few years ago we did attempt to put in a few daffodils - but pretty soon after moving in the marriage went haywire and so nothing got done.
Any how my main problems at the moment are:
Clearing the plot of the brambles and what I think is bindweed. The large trees at the end obviously cast a shadow over a large part of the garden - they do it in two ways. The first is they block the sun a bit and secondly under the trees its a bit like scorched earth nothing is growing. If the do kill everything - maybe this is the spot for my compost etc.
Someone has suggested I cut them down. Im not sure that we should be cutting down trees. Obviously if they are dangerous or ill then yes - but these are healthy trees. The birds like them. I think we have some pigeons or magpies nesting in them and generally the canopy is a busy old place. And I like lying in my bed watching them wave genetly in the breeze. So i think the trees will have to stay and just be factored in to my plans.
While Im on the subject I do also want to try to be organic with my garden and try to be friendly to the animals and insects that might live there. I have sent off for Blue Peters Bee friendly flowers - so I'll need to find spaces for them cos the Bees need our help at the moment.
http://www.saveourbees.org.uk/

At the moment all I have is a spade and a fork - well I haven't checked that I still do have them and that they are iin a workable condition, but I know I had them a few years ago. So the clear the brambles is a major problem if I can't borrow a brush cutter, or even a pruning fork or what ever they are called. If I have to buy, I will try to buy secondhand so that I can recycle the tools. But I am away this weekend - so can't go car booting or rummaging around and I am away all of next week on business. I am not a full time gardener remember, Im just a guy at work who will ponly have the evenings and some weekends to do this.
I also need plants. I'm going to staret chatting up my work colleagues to see if I can beg any off them, although even though I have been here 8 years I don't know anyone who has spoken about gardening or has bought stuff into work. So it might be a problem.
But hey ho thats the fun of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment